Thursday 4 September 2008

Palin Rocks! ... I'm Bothered Now, though

Well! If you missed Sarah Palin's speech last night at the Republican National Convention (US presidential race), you missed it! Granted, the US is one of the few countries yet to elect a major female leader, and Ireland has had two successful Madam Presidents, but I think Palin made it clear she is ready for a Chief Executive job. Yes, she will only be Vice President, but in the next election, she's a certainty to be nominated for President.

And that's my quandary. All through this tedious campaign season, I've said, "Just get McCain in there for four years, then let's move on to President Mike Huckabee." But after Palin's speech - well, actually about ten minutes into it - I have a real problem. My problem is this: in four years, do I still want to vote for Huckabee for president, or for Sarah Palin?

Huckabee has been my presidential pick since he entered the primaries. First of all, he's from Arkansas (so am I), he's a strong leader with a proven record of lowering taxes, balancing a horribly wrecked budget, working equally well with both parties, plus he's a sincerely nice guy. I've had dinner with him a couple of times (easy to do in a small state like Arkansas), and he comes across in an informal setting as friendly, sharp, and interested in everything. I really, really like Huckabee for President.

Or I did. RATS! Now comes Palin and I was just as stunned as everyone else who heard her (and have functioning synapses). She was quick, charming, solid on her ideas, and very focused on the job at hand. (Unlike the opposing presidential candidate who can't seem to even remember what he said yesterday ... or how many states we have in the US! - see my earlier post on BO's numeracy skills.)

I think Palin will make a great addition to the McCain ticket. I think she'll be a good VP. And I believe she could very possibly be a great first American Madam President.

No comments:

My photo
For a better life, better world, and better future. This is right to the point of caring for God's creations - Ireland, the Irish, American traditions, animals, and planet.